Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Day 13: Alice in Wonderland


Alice in Wonderland (1951)

Starring: Kathryn Beaumont, Ed Wynn, Jerry Colonna, Richard Haydn, Sterling Holloway, Verna Felton, J. Pat O'Malley, Bill Thompson, Heather Angel, Joseph Kearns, Larry Grey, Queenie Leonard, Dink Trout, Doris Lloyd, Jimmy MacDonald, Don Barclay, the Mellomen

Songs: "Alice in Wonderland," "In a World of My Own," "The Sailor's Hornpipe," "The Caucus Race," "How Do You Do and Shake Hands," "The Walrus and the Carpenter," "Old Father William," "Smoke the Blighter Out," "All in the Golden Afternoon," "A-E-I-O-U," "Twas Brillig," "The Un-Birthday Song," "Very Good Advice," "Painting the Roses Red"

Alice in Wonderland is the thirteenth animated Disney feature, based on the books Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.  I'd imagine you're all familiar with the story of little Alice who chases a white rabbit in a waistcoat and ends up falling down a rabbit hole to a world of nonsense. 

This movie is really pretty, with its dayglow colors gorgeous backgrounds, and neat animation.  The music is fun as well and several of the songs are taken from the book, or Carroll's other works.  

This movie unfortunately was not a big success for Disney, but the fact that it didn't perform well encouraged Disney to edit it for time and show it as a part of his Disneyland (Wonderful World of Disney) TV show just a few years later, and expose more people to it than ever saw it in theaters.

I liked this movie a lot as a kid, but I like it even more now than I did then.  The book holds a special place in my heart, and this movie is what introduced me to it, so for that I'm eternally grateful.

What I Liked: It's hard to single things out when you like everything.  But!  I will say I am quite found of Kathryn Beaumont's voice, and the song "In a World of My Own."  Plus more Mary Blair styling!  *sigh*

What I Disliked: You're probably getting tired of this, but nothing really.  I mean, I do kinda feel hurt by the fact that Walt Disney later blamed the fact that this movie didn't do so great at the box office on the movie having "no heart."  I totally disagree with that.  But that's not so much something about the movie...

Should You Watch This Movie: Yes, definitely.  I could be biased, being a big Wonderland fan, but I find it lovely and a ton of fun.  At least watch it once, just to say you have.  (*cough* And then if you haven't, also read the book)

No comments:

Post a Comment