Monday, January 12, 2015

Day 12: Cinderella

An with today's movie we move on to another era of Disney animation: the Silver Era.


Cinderella (1950)

Starring: Ilene Woods, Eleanor Audley, Luis van Rooten, Jimmy MacDonald, William Phipps, Mike Douglas, Lucille Bliss, Rhoda Williams, Verna Felton, Don Barclay, June Foray, Betty Lou Gerson

Songs: "Cinderella," "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes," "Oh, Sing Sweet Nightingale," "The Work Song," "Bippidi Boppidi Boo," "So This is Love"

Cinderella is the twelfth Disney animated feature -- the return to feature length films after the six package films and the first fairy tale since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.  I won't bore you by telling you about the story, because I'm sure you know it.  What I will say is that this movie is cute and fun and very charming.  Disney actually hadn't had a big success since Snow White, and in fact the future of Disney animation kind of rested on the success or failure of this picture.  Luckily it was a huge success, both financially and critically... but had it not been?  I'm glad we don't have to live in the world where this was the last Disney animated movie.  =)

As you can tell, again, I don't have much to say about this movie.  I enjoyed it a lot as a kid, and I still enjoy it a lot now.

What I Liked: My queen Eleanor Audley's performance as Lady Tremaine.  Cinderella's doing a duet with her reflection in the soap bubbles during "Sing Sweet Nightingale."  The scenes with the pumpkin going to and leaving the ball, because those backgrounds and the styling are pure Mary Blair.  Also, this:


What I Disliked: No complaints from me.

Should You Watch This Movie: Of course.  If you haven't already, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment