Thursday, February 12, 2015

Day 43: Treasure Planet


Treasure Planet (2002)

Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Brian Murray, Emma Thompson, David Hyde Pierce, Martin Short, Michael Wincott, Laurie Metcalf, Roscoe Lee Browne

Songs:  "I'm Still Here," "Always Know Where You Are"

Treasure Planet is the forty-third Disney animated feature film, inspired by Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island.  It tells the story of young Jim Hawkins, who joins the crew of a spaceship and goes on an adventure across the galaxy.

The idea for the picture came about in 1985, when The Little Mermaid was pitched.  Then studio executive Jeffrey Katzenberg wasn't interested at the idea at the time, and the technology to make the film as envisioned didn't exist at the time, so the project laid dormant until it went back into development in the late 90s and began production in 2000.  The goal with Treasure Planet was to blend traditional animation and CGI, as well as to blend classic and futuristic.  Visually, they took inspiration from sci-fi films and classic storybook illustrations.

A 1911 Treasure Island illustration titled "One More Step, Mr. Hands" by N.C. Wyeth

This movie was exciting and really unique looking.  It's got this steampunk thing going on, so that's pretty cool.  The "Treasure Island in space" concept is cool, too.  I didn't see this movie as a kid (or, I should say, as a teenager, since I was 14 when it came out) because it looked like "a boy movie" to me at the time.  I liked it well enough when I saw it much later.  Not a favorite, I'm afraid, but a reasonable way to pass the time.

What I Liked: Captain Amelia, who is perfectly voiced by Emma Thompson.  Also the ending scene is really well done.

What I Disliked: While I didn't hate him, I have to admit B.E.N. is a tad on the annoying side.  I'm just humorless and heartless enough to say that.

Should You Watch This Movie: I'd give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment